Scriptorium is a language learning technique developed by Alexander Arguelles. It is primarily an exercise in writing.
With this method, one may develop several things:
1. Better writing in the target language.
2. Better understanding of the correspondence between speech and writing.
3. An ability to write at a more stylistic level in the target language.
4. It develops working memory (the centre of all learning).
5. Develop one's focus.
- Take a sentence and read it aloud.
- Speak aloud again as you write it carefully.
- Read the sentence aloud from what you have written.
- Check unknown words and grammar in a dictionary and grammar respectively.
- Do this exercise slowly, the aim is to pay attention to fine detail.
- Best used extensively at intermediate and advanced levels.
- For beginners, start with course-book sentences.
- At the beginner level: also read out the (L1) translation the first time.
- Try to do sessions of approximately 15 minutes.