Dutch is the official language of the Netherlands and is one of three official languages in Belgium, where it is called Flemish.
|Spoken by:||27 million|
|Spoken in:||Netherlands, Belgium (Flanders and Brussels), Suriname, Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao, Saba, Sint-Eustatius, Sint-Maarten, French Flanders (France), Lower Rhine (Germany).|
Phonology[edit | edit source]
Grammar[edit | edit source]
Orthography[edit | edit source]
Common difficulties[edit | edit source]
The Foreign Service Institute has classified Dutch as a "World" language. It is estimated that learning Dutch to a Professional Working Proficiency in the language (a score of Speaking-3/Reading-3 on the Interagency Language Roundtable scale) will take an average of 24 weeks (600 class hours).
Dutch Language Islands[edit | edit source]
Welcome to Dutch Language Islands
(with parallel English translations)
A language island is one or a few short paragraphs about some specific subject in the language you are learning. The objective is to memorise the paragraph(s) to ensure you could speak or write it very well.
These islands are also a good source of Dutch/English parallel text.
Resources[edit | edit source]
- The Grimm brother's stories in Dutch
- Project Gutenberg Dutch materials
- Worksheets with verb conjugations, vocabulary, etc
- Dutch online grammar course
- Learn Dutch
- Dutch Public Broadcaster News (text)
- Dutch Public Broadcaster Daily News (video)
- Dutch Public Broadcaster News Archive(video)
- Grimm stories (some with audio)
- Learn Dutch: watch video with subtitles
- Dutch grammar tutorial and some basic phrases
- Various materials including some slow audio + text files
- Librivox Dutch audiobooks and Dutch texts
- Online Dutch dictionary
- Something about pigs...in Dutch
- One beginner and one intermediate tutorial
- Dutch Wikipedia
- Search engine based in the Netherlands with great privacy and possible Dutch interface
- An online course based on text, sound and pictures
- Watch Dutch tv online
- A site with mostly vocabulary and a little grammar
- Tutorial games Dutch-English
- Tutorial games English-Dutch
- Dutch tutorial on the Indo-European Languages website.
- Wikibooks Dutch
- Unilang's Dutch for beginners
- Flashcards, sentences, vocabulary and some texts
- Laura speaks Dutch podcast
- Say it in Dutch log - Idioms and colloquial Dutch
- Sublearning - Dutch to English movie subtitle flash cards
- Pimsleur offers a course in Dutch.
- Duolingo offers a course in Dutch.
- Rosetta Stone offers a course in Dutch.
References[edit | edit source]
- U.S. Department of State; FSI's Experience with Language Learning; https://www.state.gov/m/fsi/sls/c78549.htm